Comparing commercial orange juicing machines – what you need to know
There is a lot to consider when comparing the difference and price of the various commercial orange juicing machines.
If price is your one and only consideration, then jump on the internet and buy any of the machines manufactured in China for a few hundred dollars. But be prepared though to suffer through poor performance, low juice yields and short operating life. These machines are unreliable at best and the companies that make them usually offer no warranty and no spare parts.
If you are serious about purchasing a machine that will give your business years of trouble-free service and maximum profits then you need to purchase a serious piece of equipment from a serious manufacturer.
There are many manufacturers who make good quality citrus juicers but there are only two squeezing systems. They are
- Rotary system
- Vertical system. Unique to Zummo
Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Let’s examine them.
With the rotary system, the oranges are fed from a hopper down a chute into the squeezing area. The orange is delivered into two rotors with hollows in them to accept the fruit where it is rotated down and severed by a blade before two rotors with ball-like arms rotated into the pulp of the fruit thus extracting the juice. The mechanism continues to rotate, and the two orange halves are removed from the rotating balls and ejected into a waste receptacle.
The juice flows out of the fruit as it is being pressed and can flow over the skin of the fruit picking up residues and bitter citrus oils before being caught in the juice receptacle.
- simple operation and
- generally cheaper to manufacture resulting in a cheaper price.
- Bitter tasting juice and more importantly a considerable lack of efficiency, giving rise to a reduction in yield from each orange. This makes the extracted juice more expensive due to more fruit being required for any given volume of juice extracted.
- Machine jamming is common due to inability to handle odd-shaped or out of spec’ fruit size.
- Machines in Australia are sold on an order basis with no care or follow up on suitability for purpose. No after sale follow-up. No marketing materials supplied. No business/profit plan supplied.
- The machine cleaning is also more complicated and takes considerably longer to do, up to 30 minutes daily.
- Warranty is limited or non-existent.
ZUMMO VERTICAL SYSTEM.
With the Zummo patented Efficient Vertical System (EVS) the oranges are fed from a hopper directly into the squeezing cups which traps the orange as it travels in an arc 90 degrees from horizontal to vertical severing the fruit on a blade as it swings it way down.
The fruit is then pressed vertically down on a squeezing dome where the juice is extracted from the pulp and falls straight down into the receptacle before the two orange halves are ejected into the waste receptacle.
The juice in the vertical system has no opportunity to come into contact with the skin of the fruit and cannot be contaminated with any surface residues or bitter oils from the skin. This system imitates hand squeezing and is the most efficient yielding in the order if 20% better juice yields.
- Far more efficient.
- 20% improvement on yield compared to rotary systems. Big savings on fruit cost.
- Less jamming due to ability to handle odd sizes fruit.
- Greater range of fruit size from 40mm to 100mm diameter.
- Generally easier to clean, taking no more than 10 minutes per day.
- Best warranty available with guaranteed ‘on time servicing’.
- Hot swap machine available for emergency repairs.
- Full service delivery. Marketing materials, Sales assistance and ideas. Bottle supplies. Contacts for Orange fruit suppliers.
- Complete team member training on all aspects of the machine.
- Dedicated expertise to workshop any issues with operations.
- Australia wide warranty and repair network
- Extremely reliable due to advanced engineering and construction materials.
- Internal mechanics are more complicated.
- More expensive to manufacture.
- Higher retail price.