Flour-less Orange & Almond Cake
Going sugar-free does not have to be the be all and end all. If you can master the temptation of the sugar demons, then you will be rewarded with extra energy and a healthier lifestyle.
We’ve discovered local wellness influencer Casey-Lee Lyons and are a big fan of her blog Live, Love, Nourish. We think you will love her recipes which are not only sugar-free, but:
- Gluten free,
- Dairy free,
- Sugar free,
- Food allergy, and,
- Intolerance friendly.
This recipe for Flourless Orange and Almond Cake is a match made in heaven for Zummo!
Recipe: Flourless Orange and Almond Cake
- 3 large sweet oranges
- 4 large free range eggs
- 8 (150g) large medjool dates, pitted & chopped*
- 3 cups (330g) almond meal
- 2 tsp (5g) baking powder
- 1 tsp (2g) organic vanilla bean powder
- Pre-heat fan-forced oven to 175ºC.
- Place 2 oranges (unpeeled) in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil then simmer covered for 45 minutes. (Make sure oranges remain covered with water). Drain and cool.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice remaining orange. Cover the bottom of a lined large round cake tin with the orange slices. Set aside.
- Cut cooled boiled oranges into quarters (discard any seeds).
- Place boiled oranges, eggs, dates, baking powder and vanilla powder into a high powered blender (I use a Vitamix) and puree until smooth.
- In a medium bowl mix together orange puree with almond meal.
- Pour batter on top of orange slices in your cake tin and bake for 1 hour 40 minutes.
- Allow to slightly cool for 15 minutes then turn out so the orange slices at the bottom become the top of your cake.
So there you have it! We are pretty sure that this Insta-worthy cake is going to taste just as nice as it looks. And the best thing is, you get the natural sweetness from the dates and orange slices without the nastiness of sugar.